Harassment and Illegal Eviction for Tenants
Am I a Tenant or Licensee?
Tenants have more rights than a Licensee.
Key Elements of a Licencee:
- Permission to occupy, it is only a personal right.
- A Licensee cannot be transferred to someone else.
- Licences exist in the Public and Private Sector. In the Public Sector they are issued under the Housing Act 1985 and have the same rights as a secure tenancy.
- Identifiable Parties - there must be two parties, a landlord and a tenant.
- Identifiable Premises - does not have to constitute an entire dwelling, it can be as small as a single room.
- Definite Period - fixed or periodic term.
- Exclusive Possession - tenant/ tenants have the right to exclusive possession to exclude everyone including the landlord.