The First World War and Trinity Church, Hednesford

Hednesford’s Trinity Church was built by William Baldwin in 1873. During the First World War, the Chapel played an important role in supporting the welfare of troops on Cannock Chase’s Great War Camps.



The schoolroom was used to serve over 250,000 meals and more than £1,000 was raised for the soldiers.


In 1921 Trinity Church purchased one of the huts erected on the Cannock Chase Great War Camps for £450. It was erected nearby and became the Wesleyan Memorial Institute. In 1928 stained glass windows were unveiled which commemorated the lives of men from the Church who died in the First World War.