The strategic housing department are responsible for the following functions:
- assess and plan for current and future housing needs of the local population;
- make the best use of existing housing stock;
- plan and facilitate new supply;
- plan and commission housing support services which link homes to support and other services that people need to live in them;
- have working partnerships that secure effective housing and neighbourhood management.
By contributing to place shaping, strategic housing activity can help to deliver improved services (including health, education, social services); a safe environment; accessible transport; a strong sense of community; and a decent home for all at a price people can afford.