Car Park off Park Road, Open-10:30 Close-19:00.
Tennis Courts Open-08:30 Close 19:00. Please be aware that during winter conditions, surfaces are not treated and the Tennis Courts will be closed if necessary.
Located just a short distance from the Cannock Town Centre.
The park is triangualr in shape, constrained by the A34 Stafford Road, Park Road and the Old Penkridge Road, Cannock. It also has landscape boundaries with Cannock Leisure Centre and the Golf Course.
Cannock Park is 5.72 hectares in size, but this does not take into account the larger historical land profile, that formed the area formally known as the "Flower Show Grounds"
The park located near the town centre, and the 18 hole golf course, offers football pitches and pavilion, tennis courts, children's play area, skate boarding facilities and a varying landscape which offer colorful seasonal displays of annual bedding, rose & shrub garden and trees including a number of mature and semi mature trees.
CANNOCK PARK HISTORY
"With the assistance and approval of the Friends of Cannock Park [who have carried out extensive research on the history of the park] we have added the following details on the site.
Originally the park extended to an area covering 98 acres of land, that was believed to be part of the former open fields and wasteland which lay within the Manor of Cannock. Due to the sites layout, the landscape remained unchanged and because of the distinctive field boundaries, we are able to identify areas such as Bagot's Croft, Old Fallow, Little Meadow and Barn Piec [this area formed part of the formal park] Brickeln Meadow, Coaney greave, long Meadow, The sitch [which formed part of the golf course area]. The area was not singly down to pasture, it also had gravel pits, sand holes and brickworks in the area.
1839- With a few exceptions, the Stubbs family had acquired the land previously owned by Moreton Walhouse, all of the land was collectively known as Old Fallow Farm which had a substantial farmhouse called "Old Fallow House" and was situated on the eastern side of Stafford Road.
1859- The land was enfranchised by the Marquis of Anglesey. Mr George John Stubbs and Edward Phillip Stubbs became the owners of most of the land, however, the ownership of the roads were excluded as the Lord of the Manor retained the manorial rights which also included the rights for minerals, sporting and the ability to hold markets and fairs.
1870- The lands were divided again and sold, Mr. W. Cotton purchasing the land that forms the park and a Mr. W. Bishton [a land owner from Blackpool] purchased the remainder of the land that now forms the golf course area.
1876- Mr. and Mrs. W. Cotten died and their land was acquired by Mr. W Bishton.
1880/1890- The brickworks continued on part of the area known as Bricklin Meadow with the other areas either left vacant or farmed.
1886 - Following the death of Mr. W Bishton his estate became known as the "Bishton Will Trust" which was administrated by trustees, on two seperate occasions unsuccessfully and the estate was placed up for sale in 1893 and 1911
1880s-Within the records, there was mention of sections of land been used for recreational purposes i.e. Sims lane Athletic Ground, which was recorded as the home ground for Cannock Town Football Club. One of the clubs claim to fame was to have the worlds first footballer to play in this country from Jamestown Gold Coast [ know called Ghana] Mr. Arthur Wharton who played in Cannock for two years, before moving to Darlington, Preston North End, Rotherham Town and Sheffield United.
In the summer of 2014, a statue was unveiled at the entrance to the National Football Centre at Burton-on-Trent to commemorate Arthur's contribution to football.
1909- The horticultural Society which had held small events previously decided to relocate from Wolverhampton Road athletics ground and move to the larger venue on the Stafford Road, they sublet the ground for £9.00. The shows became a successful community event with competitions for livestock, fruit, vegetables, table decorations, best horse and cart, horse leaping and bee keeping among other features.
1914- The area used by the flower show society was put up for auction, and the society with a loan from a local farmer purchased the grounds for £ 1,050.00. With the grounds secure, the society went on to hold the flower show in August of 1915 with all proceeds going to the Red Cross, the show had over 700 entries.
1920- The show continued to develop and the society went on to purchase a wooden hall, enabling them to organise dances with an orchestra, the location of the building was in the present rose /shrub garden.
1922- The grounds were used for raising funds for the "Cannock War Memorial Fund" in July of 1922 it was noted that there were 70 tableaux and fancy dress floats along with cars, wagons and motor cycles who paraded in the town with the grounds used for a ladies football match and folk dancing etc. It was described as the finest event yet.
1926- The grounds were used by the Education Authority to hold Athletic events for the local schools.
1928- The society purchased a further 9 acres of adjoining land from the Bishton estate for the sum of £950.00 to create a site second to none.
1929- There was a joint discussion between the Horticultural Society, the Cannock and Pelsall Miners welfare Committee and Cannock Urban District Council, which resulted in the sale of land for the purposes of a recreation ground, the Horticultural society only asked for and received enough money to cover the outstanding debts.
1930- On the 6th May the Urban council also agreed to provide a grant of £950.00 towards the cost of land which was subsequently purchased for £3,450.00. The miner's welfare fund provided funds for the purchase of land and laying out grounds and buildings, they also purchased additional land which was now used for the tennis courts and bowls green.
1932 - The park was opened by the Chairman of Cannock Chase and Pelsall District Miners Welfare Committee, a Colonel Williamson, with the facilities including a variety of play equipment, six tennis courts, a bowling green, green spaces for hockey, football and cricket with a miniature golf cousre added later along with toilets and fine gates on the Simm Lane side [now called Park road]
1959- The veterans Building was built in the rose garden.
1972- The Cannock Model Engineering Society, took four years to construct a track for a model railway, which lasted on site for 10 years, the actual location was the Leisure Centre car park.
1974- The Pavilion was burnt down.
1998- Cannock Chase Council's Amenities Committee approved a management plan for Cannock Park
2001- The sites paddling pool was removed
2009- Cannock Chase Council added funding to re-configure the pathways around the park and added a new tree line fronting the park on the Stafford Road
Cannock Park has been awarded the "Green Flag" award for the site from 2008 up to the present date of 2022, along with a special innovation award in 2011 for the mural located on the Leisure Centre wall which led to the Council's wider respect agenda.
Last Updated: 14/04/2022