Who can claim Housing Benefit? If you pay rent to a landlord, you should apply for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs.
You can apply online here to claim Housing Benefit.
Housing Benefit entitlement will normally start from the Monday following your date of first contact with a designated authority (i.e. Council Offices, Department for Works and Pensions).
Who can claim Local Council Tax Reduction?
Anyone who has a liability to pay Council Tax can apply for Local Council Tax Reduction, even if you already get a discount on your Council Tax i.e. if you live alone.
You can claim even if you work and have a low income.
In some cases, even though you have a liability to pay council tax you would not be entitled to Local Council Tax Reduction. For example when someone:
- Has income which is too high to qualify
- Is of working age and has capital or savings in excess of £6000 (pensionable age level is £16000)
Online Self Service
Our self-service page gives the customer or their appointee instant online access to apply for Housing Benefit and/or Local Council Tax Support and report changes in circumstance at a time convenient to them without the need to visit us, ring us or write to use.
What you can do using Self Service:
- Access the online Beneﬁt Calculator to work out entitlement
- Apply for Council Tax Reduction / Housing Beneﬁt
- Report a change in circumstance
- Apply for a Discretionary Housing or Hardship payment
- Appeal a beneﬁt decision
- Submit evidence/information/documents
- Find our when you will reach state pension age
- Make a payment
Civic Centre self serve area is open for access to phones and computers for Council Services. Opening times: Monday - Friday between 10am and 4pm
Customers are encouraged to make an appointment before visiting the Civic Centre, this will ensure the department / Officer of choice are available - Please call 01543 464292 and speak to the appropriate department or officer
Cannock Chase Council, Civic Centre,
Beecroft Road, Cannock, Staffs WS11 1BG
Click here for a location map of civic centre
To speak to an advisor please call 01543 464292