The War Memorial Preservation Society have organised a rededication of Hednesford War Memorial on 7 July.
This follows on from extensive works and refurbishment to Hednesford War Memorial after Cannock Chase Council was awarded £2.2M Heritage Lottery Grant in 2012 for improvements and the development of Hednesford Park, which included the war memorial which stands adjacent to the park.
The war memorial originally opened on 9 September 1922, four years after the First World War and was unveiled by H.R.H Princess Alice on 9 November 1922.
Hednesford War Memorial was built to commemorate the lives of the residents of Hednesford and District and was originally funded and maintain by the efforts of local people.
The recent maintenance and restoration of the memorial owes much to the local community, schools and volunteers; and in October 2016 young volunteers from Russia visited the site as part of their exchange scheme and helped to plant flower beds.
Councillor Christine Mitchell, Portfolio Leader for Culture and Sport said “The work that has taken place at the war memorial has transformed it from being very overgrown, to a beautiful memorial to commemorate our local servicemen who lost their lives. The planting and maintenance of the gardens has been thanks to the local community and volunteers. It is a fitting tribute that the preservation society have organised this dedication and we welcome it back into the ownership of Cannock Chase Council.”
The rededication ceremony will take place on Saturday 7 July, where at approximately 11am former servicemen and cadets will meet and parade through the park to the War Memorial where the ceremony will take place (at approximately 11:45am).
Reverend Paul Kelly from St Peter’s Church will rededicate the memorial and Lord Anglesey will open the restored gardens.