Latest Benefits News
Our Mission Statement
Cannock Chase Council's benefit service aims to meet the needs of the community by providing a secure and efficient service that is accessible to all, where the right benefit is paid at the right time and a service that contributes positively to the overall welfare of the community.....
- The Department for Work and Pensions national figures for January 2019 to March 2019 confirms Cannock Chase Council as processing new claims at an average of 22 days; this is 3 days slower the national average of 19 days and we are working hard to improve on these figures in the next quarter. Change in circumstances were processed at an average of 4 days this is 1 day slower than national average of 4 days. Our latest performance is available to view here. Our latest performance is available to view here.
- It has never been easier to report a change in circumstances by using our on line form. So long as you provide all the information we need, we will aim to re-assess your claim within 2 working days, To report a change in circumstances click here.
- Localised Council Tax Reduction –There are no changes to the scheme for 2019-20 continuing our intention to ensure that our local council tax support scheme continues to be as generous as possible. For more information link to our Localised Council Tax Support page. It is important to remember that support to pay your Council Tax is not included within UNIVERSAL CREDIT. This means you must make a claim for Local Council Tax Support directly to the Local Authority.
- Benefit Overpayment Collection is at a record high. DWP national figures confirm that between April and September 2018 £439K was recovered by the Debt Recovery team. Whilst the figure is an impressive 3rd highest in Staffordshire when added to the amount recovered for Stafford Borough Council (£468k) on behalf of whom we operate the Benefit Service, a massive total of £907K was recovered. This is money that can be put into local services that benefit the whole community and is a clear message to customers that have a Benefit Overpayment that we intend to purse all debts until fully paid.
- The Benefit Service continues to operate a Discretionary Payment Scheme. There is now an on line claim form that makes applying for Discretionary Payment easier and quicker. To apply click here.