Parking Enforcement

Civil Enforcement Parking - Enforcement Methods

Parking fines starting with the letters 'ZC' can be paid on-line on this site via our on-line payments page. (select Penalty Charge Notices).

Other parking fines starting with the letters 'GE' can be paid via Staffordshire County Council's on-line payments page

From 1st April 2015 Staffordshire County Council are now responsibe for on-street parking enforcement in our district.

Further information is available by telephoning 0300 111 8000 or via

Civil Enforcement Officers will continue to issue Penalty Charge Notices for off street offences (ie. car parks & service areas), which will carry either a £50 or £70 fine , but this will be reduced to £25/£35 if paid within 14 days. 

Penalty Charge Notices will not be issued to exempt groups, for example Blue Badge holders, if they have parked within the criteria of their permit and displayed the badge correctly. 

Need more information? 

Read more about Civil Parking Enforcement at:

The council is a member of the Parking and Traffic Regulations Outside London (PATROL) Adjudication Joint Committee.

Parking enforcement - Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make a complaint about a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) that has been issued to my vehicle? 
All Challenges must be submitted in writing to:
Parking Services 
PO Box 4907
Stoke on Trent

Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs) - Parking Attendants were known as Civil Enforcement Officers from 23 March 2009.

Enforcement By Post - Motorists who drive away while the CEO is processing the PCN can now be issued with a Penalty Charge Notice through the post.   

How do I know which charging structure I have to pay?
The details of which charge you are required to pay will be on your Penalty Charge Notice.

Is it just another money making scheme for the Council?
The changes introduced with Part 6 of the Traffic Management Act 2004 have been introduced nationally, not just in Staffordshire. The new rules are aimed at making parking fairer for the motorist - making the charge more proportional to the contravention. The council does not make a profit from parking services and all money received from Penalty Charge Notices is put back into parking services. 

I am a disabled Blue Badge holder, will the new Act affect me? There are no new rules or regulations that will specifically affect Blue Badge holders. Badge holders with new fraud-prevention style badges (issued from October 2007) should display their badges as directed on the front of the badge - The Blue Badge Scheme, Staffordshire County Council.

If I submit a challenge, will I lose the opportunity to pay at the discounted rate?
No, providing the challenge is RECEIVED within 14 days of the Penalty Charge Notice issue date, the option to pay at the discounted rate will be held until a decision is made.

I am trying to pay on the automated telephone line and the system keeps looping?
This is a technical fault due to the large volume of calls, please wait a short time and try again later.

I no longer own this vehicle, why do you keep writing to me? You are still the registered owner/keeper with the DVLA and you need to inform them of when and whom you sold the vehicle to. The registered owner/keeper is responsible for any Penalty Charge Notice's issued to the vehicle.

I did not receive a Penalty Charge Notice, but have received a Notice to Owner requesting that I pay £50/£70 for a Penalty Charge Notice. Can I pay the discounted rate of £25/35?
No. The discounted sum can only be paid within 14 days of the contravention. The Penalty Charge Notice was issued and we can only assume that a member of the public has removed it. You will need to make a representation to that effect.

Why did I get a ticket when I left a note in the car advising I was loading or it had broken down?
A note is not a valid permit to park and you would need to send a copy of any evidence to support the reason your vehicle was there i.e., breakdown recovery receipt, or delivery note.

Can I come to your office to discuss my dispute? 
No. Challenges to the issuing of a Penalty Charge Notice can only be dealt with in writing. You will receive a written response.

Can I sort this dispute over the telephone?
No. You must write, stating the grounds of your dispute.

You have rejected my challenge. I don't agree, what happens now?
The Council will send you a Notice to Owner (NtO) after 28 days. You can than make a formal dispute (Representation). The Notice to Owner will tell you how and on what grounds you may dispute. If the Council accepts your dispute the case will be closed and this will be confirmed in writing. If it doesn't accept your dispute, it will issue you with a Notice of Rejection. This will tell you must either pay within 28 days or appeal to the independent adjudicator. The Council will send you the necessary forms

(Once Notice to Owner received) I didn't own this vehicle at the time/never owned it.
You must make a formal Representation and provide written evidence of disposal/acquisition and details of the actual owner. If you never owned the vehicle you must provide written evidence from the DVLA. If you have no written evidence you may wish to seek legal advice in regard to swearing an affidavit.

I have already paid this Penalty Charge Notice and you have sent me a Notice to Owner, Charge Certificate etc.
Please write to us with details and evidence. Please provide proof of payment and/or a copy of both sides of your cheque/postal order if paid by this method.

(Representation rejected) I don't agree with your decision. What can I do?
You may appeal to the independent adjudicator - Traffic Penalty Tribunal (England and Wales)
You can request a personal hearing near your home or place of work. Traffic Penalty Tribunal will write to you.

I have received a Charge Certificate, but didn't receive the Notice to Owner. Can I dispute the Penalty?
No. The Notice to Owner was sent to the same address and it's too late now. The Council will register the debt at the Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC) - HM Courts Service, Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC) and send you the court order. Please read these carefully. You can then make a Witness Statement if you didn't receive the Notice to Owner. The court papers will explain the grounds and the procedures. The declaration must be sworn as set out in the papers.

I have received the court order but want to dispute the penalty now. Can I do this?
No. Please read the court papers carefully. You can make a Witness Statement if the grounds shown in the court papers apply. This may enable you to have the opportunity of presenting your case. You can't make a declaration if none of the grounds apply.

I've been contacted by the Bailiffs. Can I dispute the Penalty now?
No, it's too late. Please speak directly to the Bailiff or seek legal advice or contact the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Other Bailiff queries
You must contact the Bailiffs. They will tell you about their complaints procedure. You can also ask your local county court to access the charges if you think they are excessive, but you may have to pay for this.


Last Updated:

A to Z of Services