We all hope that we'll never suffer from a flood or a fire, but what would you do if your business premises were out of action? It may seem excessive to prepare and maintain a plan for the unexpected, but consider what would happen if today you lost your electricity supply or you couldn't access your premisis for several days or even weeks.
Business Continuity Planning is about improving the resilience of your business so that you can minimise the impact of any interruption.
There are several Business Continuity Planning methodologies, however the key principles are:
- Understanding your organisation and identifying your critical functions.
- Identifying the resources required to perform your critical functions.
- Performing a Business Impact Analysis to identify interdependencies and vulnerabilities.
- Developing specific and generic plans to address any vulnerability.
- Rehearsing and Maintaining plans to ensure they remain fit for purpose.
Advice to Local Businesses and Voluntary Organisations
Although we are not in a position to give direct help with business continuity, we can point you in the right direction and signpost some useful websites:
Your Business and Brexit
“Brexit” is nearly here. Businesses, and anyone who is concerned about being affected, have been advised to plan ahead. This means looking at your own business, and looking at your suppliers and supply chain, as well as your customers, to see if there are any plans you can prepare to mitigate any negative outcomes.
The following web sites are identified as providing advice and support to business or voluntary sectors. In the interests of everyone, if you have found a useful source of information, please email details to CivilContingencies@cannockchasedc.gov.uk, and we will look to share useful information to support our local economy.
The contents are the responsibility of the authors, and are not advice from the Council itself.
Chamber of Commerce Sites
- British Chamber of Commerce – Brexit check list - https://www.britishchambers.org.uk/page/brexit/business-brexit-checklist
- British Chamber of Commerce – Brexit advice - http://bresilience.com/
- Staffordshire Chambers of Commerce - https://staffordshirechambers.co.uk/business-support/
- Greater Birmingham Chamber of Commerce Brexit health check - https://www.greaterbirminghamchambers.com/brexit-support/take-our-free-business-brexit-health-check/
- UK Gov : General guidance and links re Brexit - https://www.gov.uk/government/brexit
- UK Gov : prepare your business - https://euexitbusiness.campaign.gov.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29725duk4AIVDrftCh0qLARlEAMYASAAEgJ5TPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
- UK Gov :prepare your business for the UK leaving the EU - https://www.fsb.org.uk/standing-up-for-you/brexit/introduction
- UK Gov – how to prepare for no deal exit - https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/how-to-prepare-if-the-uk-leaves-the-eu-with-no-deal
- HMRC borders advice - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/partnership-pack-preparing-for-a-no-deal-eu-exit
- Food Standards Agency asking us to communicate with food businesses about leaving the EU https://www.food.gov.uk/business-guidance/prepare-your-business-for-the-uk-leaving-the-eu
- Agriculture and Horticulture development Board - https://ahdb.org.uk/brexit
- Brexit Business Advice - https://businessadvice.co.uk/tag/brexit
- CIPD – Brexit workforce planning guide – https://www.cipd.co.uk/Images/brexit-workforce-planning-guide_tcm18-38797.pdf
- Confederation of British Industry - http://www.cbi.org.uk/news/brexit/
- Export and International trade - https://www.export.org.uk/news/415420/Government-releases-advice-for-businesses-on-how-to-prepare-for-a-no-deal-Brexit.htm<
- Federation of Small Businesses Brexit pack - https://www.fsb.org.uk/standing-up-for-you/brexit/introduction
- Food manufacture hot line - https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2019/01/07/Food-manufacturers-get-no-deal-Brexit-advice
- Food Research and EU Exit - https://foodresearch.org.uk/publications/local-authorities-food-brexit/
- Information Commissioners : Data protection and Brexit - https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/news-and-events/blog-data-protection-and-brexit-ico-advice-for-organisations/
- Institute for government - https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/our-work/brexit?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx_jbjOGk4AIV5r3tCh2_aA1sEAAYAyAAEgKGcfD_BwE
- Institute of Export - https://www.export.org.uk/page/Brexit-Healthcheck
- London School of Economics employers guide - http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016/05/03/how-to-cope-with-brexit-an-employers-guide/
- NFU - https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/new-report-models-possible-impact-of-brexit-on-uk-farmings-bottom-line/
- National Council for voluntary organisations - https://www.ncvo.org.uk/images/documents/policy_and_research/europe/NCVO-Brexit-factsheet.pdf
- Small Business UK - https://smallbusiness.co.uk/tag/brexit/
- Staffs County Council Business Support -
- Staffordshire County Council – support for small businesses - https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/Business/Challenging-times/Support-for-small-businesses.aspx
- Stoke and Staffordshire Enterprise partnership - https://www.stokestaffslep.org.uk/
- Travel - https://www.abta.com/tips-and-advice/brexit-advice-for-travellers
Last Updated: 09/05/2022