Complaint About A Councillor

Who can you complain about?

You can complain about any Councillor (also known as a Member) or Co-opted/Appointed Member of Cannock Chase Council and of the following parish/town Councils within the district:

  • Brereton & Ravenhill Parish Council
  • Bridgetown Parish Council
  • Brindley Heath Parish Council
  • Cannock Wood Parish Council
  • Heath Hayes & Wimblebury Parish Council
  • Hednesford Town Council
  • Norton Canes Parish Council
  • Rugeley Town Council

You can only make a complaint if you feel that the Member concerned is in breach of the Member Code of Conduct of the council to which they are elected/co-opted/appointed.

The Code of Conduct for Members of Cannock Chase Council is contained within the Council's Constitution.

Each parish/town council has its own Members' Code of Conduct which can be accessed via each council's website:


The Local Government Association (LGA) has produced guidance to help in understanding what is meant by each obligation within the code.

How can you make a complaint?

If you wish to make a complaint you need to complete and return the Councillor Complaint Form (attached below).  This form will help us ensure that you send us all the information we need.  When returning your form please also include any additional supporting documents which you think are relevant to your complaint.

Should you need any advice or assistance with completing your form, please contact Democratic Services on 01543 462621 or email

When submitting the form please ensure you provide us with your name and contact address/email address so that we can acknowledge receipt of your complaint and keep you informed of its progress.

What will happen once your complaint has been received?

Your complaint will be submitted to the Council's Monitoring Officer.  Within 5 working days of receiving the complaint, the Monitoring Officer will usually:

  • acknowledge receipt of the complaint;
  • send a copy of the complaint to the Member(s) concerned, unless in the Monitoring Officer's opinion this may prejudice the investigation;
  • send a copy of the complaint to the relevant parish/town council clerk (if appropriate).

The full procedure to be followed when considering and determining the complaint can be viewed below.

The Councillor complaint form is currently being updated - please contact Democratic Services on (01543) 462 621 if you need a copy in the meantime.

Last Updated:

A to Z of Services