Health & Safety


Cannock Chase District Council inspects workplaces, investigates accidents and complaints to protect the health, safety and welfare of those working in or visiting premises where they may be exposed to risks from work related activities.

Local Authorities are directed by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) each year to prioritise areas of significant risk which have been nationally identified.  However, visits are also made in response to certain accident notifications and reports or complaints about unhealthy or dangerous working environments.

Health and safety interventions are also planned in annually focussing on key topics as the result of intelligence gathered on issues locally and nationally; examples of previous interventions undertaken have been gas safety, slips and trips, work place violence, work at height and workplace transport.

Key Activities

•    Planned Interventions to ensure organisations are working within the law

•    Investigation of accidents and dangerous occurrences

•    Investigation of workplace health and safety complaints

•    As part of registration, inspect skin piercing and tattooist establishments.

If you have a concern  about health and safety in the workplace please contact the Health and Safety team on 01543 462621 

or e-mail

What’s the difference between the Council and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) ?

•    Certain types of businesses and work activities fall to the Council’s Environmental Health & Public Protection service for enforcement and advice - such as shops and warehouses, offices, catering & hospitality, hotels, campsites, residential care homes, consumer services such as tyre & exhaust fitting, hair & beauty, and tattooists, leisure businesses, building merchants, playgroups and nurseries, garden centres etc.  
•    The HSE will investigate, enforce and advise on health and safety in industrial and manufacturing premises, farms and agricultural premises, motor vehicle repair, construction sites, including construction work being done at domestic houses. 

To contact the HSE with a complaint visit Tell us about a health and safety issue

Fire Safety

If any matters relate to fire safety, contact Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service 


Last Updated:

A to Z of Services