Housing Benefit Fraud

If you suspect that someone is committing benefit fraud please find below the ways that you can report this. 

Housing Benefit Fraud

The DWP (Department for Works and Pensions) is responsible for investigating Housing Benefit Fraud. Any suspected Housing Benefit fraud should be reported directly to the DWP. They also investigate fraud relating to benefits that DWP directly administer such as Universal Credit or disability benefits.

Online at: www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Or by post: National Benefit Fraud Hotline, Mail Handling Site A, Wolverhampton, WV98 2BP

Or by telephone: 0800 854 440

Cannock Chase Council has the responsibility for investigating the following types of fraud:

  • Council Tax Single Person Discount Fraud – A person liable to pay Council Tax is entitled to claim a 25% discount on their Council Tax charge if they are the only adult over 18 in the property. If you think that someone is claiming this discount but is not entitled to it, please let us know and we will investigate it.
  • Local Council Tax Reduction Fraud - The Local Council Tax Reduction scheme assists in paying Council Tax for working age persons on a low income. People on this scheme have an obligation to notify us of changes that take place which could affect their entitlement, but some fail to do so. Other persons may make a false statement when they make a claim for Local Council Tax Reduction. If you suspect anybody, please tell us.

Email: Investigations@cannockchasedc.gov.uk

Or by post: Compliance Team, Cannock Chase Council, Civic Centre, PO Box 28, Beecroft Road, Cannock, Staffordshire WS11 1BG

Or by telephone: 01543 464292


Last Updated:

A to Z of Services