Homelessness - Young People and Care Leavers

Are you 16 or 17 and threatened with Homelessness

  • If you are 16 or 17 and threatened with Homelessness the Council’s Housing Options Service can provide you with advice and assistance.
  • We understand that being threatened with having nowhere to live is a very stressful and confusing time for young people.  It is therefore important for you to receive advice and support so that you fully understand what your options are.  This advice and support will guide you to make the right decisions.
  • We will work in partnership with Social Services to help you with your housing situation.
  • Local Authority Social Services Teams have the main responsibility for housing and support needs if you're under 18 years old and threatened with homelessness.
  • The law has an expectation that Social Services & Housing Options Teams should meet with you in order to carry out what is called a Joint Assessment of your Housing & Support needs. This will be an important meeting involving you in order to establish your situation and how your needs are going to be best met.
  • If you have a professional agency supporting you, such as Social Services, you should talk to your Social Worker without delay.

You can contact us for help and advice on-:

Telephone: 01543 462621 and ask for the Housing Options & Homelessness Services.

Email: housingoptions@cannockchasedc.gov.uk 

Help and advice for homeless care leavers

  • If you are a care leaver at risk of becoming homeless, or you are already homeless, you can contact the Housing Options & Homelessness Service and we will help you.
  • When you leave care your Leaving Care PA will find you somewhere to live until you are 18 years of age.  Your PA will support you to decide which is the best housing option and will support you through the process of finding suitable accommodation.

Help for care leavers aged 18 and 25

If at any time between the ages of 18 to 25, you become homeless, or are at risk of becoming homeless, the Local Authority can help you if-:

you have already left care and: 

  • spent at least 13 weeks in care from the age of 14 and;

 spent some time in care while you were aged 16 or 17.

 For advice, support, and help with finding somewhere to live you can either contact the Housing Options team on telephone 01543 462621, or email housingoptions@cannockchasedc.gov.uk. Or, refer yourself to the Housing Options & Homelessness Service at Cannock Chase District Council.

  • We will consider if we have a duty to provide you with accommodation.
  • You will be classed as being in ‘priority need’ for accommodation until your 21st birthday if you are a care leaver known to the leaving care team.

Help after the age of 25

Some older care leavers can get accommodation from the Housing Options & Homelessness Service if they are in priority need.  You may have a priority need if you:

  • are vulnerable as a result of having been in care
  • haven't had a stable home since you left care
  • have been rough sleeping
Last Updated:

A to Z of Services