Cannock Chase Council provide support for Friends of groups and recognise the value the community brings with their involvement.
What is a Friends group?
A Friends of Parks group is a constituted group made up of a group of people or ‘Friends’ passionate about looking after their local park or green space. Friends groups work in partnership with Cannock Chase Council to enhance the green space, to meet the needs of their local community.
All ages and all abilities can make a valuable contribution to their park or open space.
What do they do?
Friends groups get involved in a huge range of things including running community events, conservation activities and practical activities like gardening, litter picking as well as linking into the variety of campaigns surrounding parks and greenspace. Activities can include:
- Promoting your local space and providing feedback to the local Council
- Helping with anything from planting, conservation tasks and litter picking
- Growing plants from seeds or cuttings at home
- Putting on local community events such as family fun days
- Fundraising, accessing grants and lottery monies for the benefit of the park
- Carrying out user surveys and collecting local views about the park
- Designing information and educational leaflets about the park (such as a guide to trees/plants in the park or a local history of the park) in partnership with the Council
- Producing and updating your groups website and/or social media platforms
- Contributing to the production of parks management plans and helping shape the future improvements to the green space or park
If you would like to set up a Friends group or be part of an existing Friends group, please contact:
Community Officer for Parks and Open Spaces
Telephone 07855 099353